Fireplace tools are essential for safely tending to a fire. Whether it’s a poker, heat resistant gloves or a fireguard, the chances are you’ll have to use one of these at some point as a fireplace owner.
However, fireplace tools have the potential to be dangerous if not used properly. This blog post will discuss some safety tips for using fireplace tools, as well as the different types of fireplace tools available for your wood burning stove.
What are the different types of fireplace tools?
There are a variety of fireplace tools available and each one has a specific purpose. Let’s get to grips with these before we go any further. Some of the most common types of fireplace tools include:
- Poker: Used to move logs and stir the fire.
- Shovel: Used to remove ashes from the firebox.
- Tongs: Used to grab and hold logs.
- Ash pan: Used to catch ashes from the firebox.
- Fireguard: Used to protect people from the fire.
- Fireplace bellows: Although these aren’t very common nowadays, we thought we’d mention them anyway. These tools are used to fan the flames.
Safety Tips for Using Fireplace Tools
Following the correct safety tips are essential when using your fireplace tools on your wood burning stove. Here are some of the key tips:
- Always wear heat-resistant gloves to protect your hands from burns.
- Never use fireplace tools to stir the fire, as this can cause sparks to fly and start a fire.
- Always use the correct tool for the job. For example, use a poker to move logs and a shovel to remove ashes.
- Be careful not to overfill the firebox, as this can cause the fire to get out of control.
- Always keep fireplace tools out of the reach of children and pets.
- Youmay choose to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of an emergency.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Keep fireplace tools clean and dry.
- Store fireplace tools in a safe place, away from heat and moisture.
- Inspect fireplace tools regularly for any damage.
- Always ensure you stove is working and in good condition.
Looking for a New Fireplace?
By following these safety tips, you can help prevent fires and injuries when using your wood burning stove. Are you looking to upgrade your wood burning stove altogether? We stock a wide range of beautiful stoves that can bring warmth and ambience into your home.
Contact Burning Inspirations to find out more.